STRATEGIC ISSUES FOR IMPROVED MONITORING TO SUPPORT TRANSPORTATION OPERATIONS
Date : Nov 27, 2001
Location : TRB – Washington DC
Attended By : Representatives from TRB, AASHTO, State DOTs, FHWA, academia, private sector
Goal: Discuss a draft white paper leading to the development of a document that can be circulated for wider discussion and consensus development
Strategic Issues to be Explored
· Developing a common understanding of the types and density of information needed to manage, use, and plan the future of transportation facilities;
• Planning and funding to deploy and maintain monitoring technology to collect the needed information;
• Methods to turn data gathered by monitoring technology into useful information;
• Establishing institutions with the authority and accountability to manage transportation facilities and assist users through application of the information;
• Institutional arrangements for keeping and sharing the information while protecting privacy of the individuals represented in the data; and
• Support for ongoing improvements to technology for monitoring, data processing, and information dissemination.
Main Points of Discussion at the Meeting
· Attempt to identify the data requirements for transportation management and operations, as a first step toward defining, developing, and implementing the necessary data systems.
· Discuss reaching consensus on:
o What functions in operations require data?
o What questions need to be answered to serve those functions?
o What categories of data are needed to answer those questions?
o Over how much of the highway system should we be collecting that data?
o Are there parts of the highway system that require different levels or types of data collection?
o Bringing it together: a proposed outline of data requirements.
Issues Raised at the Meeting
· Defining what is meant by operations – what are the operational decision boundaries that data must support?
· What are the most useful ways to classify data requirements – by operation function, information category, by static and dynamic data types